End Poverty Now
The Glen Murray Program to End Poverty Now: Highlights
- The Program to End Poverty Now, advanced by Glen Murray, leadership candidate for the Green Party of Canada, refocuses more than $87 billion in existing federal tax provisions to raise millions of Canadians above the Low-Income Measure of poverty.
- The Program focuses on Essential Workers, Families with Children, Students, Seniors, and Persons with Disabilities.
- The Program creates a fairer and more progressive federal tax system delivering almost $64 billion in savings and new benefits, and increases existing federal programs by more than $30 billion.
- The Program allows for rapid and substantial change without revisiting existing federal and provincial programs or agreements.
- The Program invites provincial and territorial partners to refocus regular social assistance on skills development and transition to employment with more than $2.2 billion in new federal support.
- The Program will increase provincial and territorial revenues by almost $18 billion allowing partner governments to both end poverty and build a better post-COVID society.
- Increasing the tax rate on Canadian banks to the same level as in the US, and modest new taxes on those with incomes in excess of $250,000, ensures the Program is implemented without increasing the federal deficit.